Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Why do we have stress?

Why do we have stress? I HATE stress! How do you handle stress? I need advice there. So I have worked at the pool for about 5 years now. I am bored with lifeguarding and my boss knows it so i have been doing/helping with other stuff to get off the guard chair and still get paid. I have been an aide for classes and such. Well i didn't know that when she and i decieded on this, i didn't know how much i would be helping! I mean its something i want to do, its just so stressful. I am going to complain whether you blog readers like it or not. I have been asked to help with CPR, Lifeguard training course, Swim Instructor, and now scout classes! Along with my regular guard shifts and school and primary. I have missed my alarm a couple of times this week due to exhaustion. It also hit me this afternoon after i paid a visit to my bosses and got notes for the scout classes. I came home and just broke down. So i am asking for your help, how do you handle stress... particularly obtaining new responsibilities at work places.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Your just trying to sound as cool as me, with all my jobs at the pool!

We actually need stress in our lives. It is a motivator. But there are good stresses, also known as eustress, and bad stresses, known as distress. Eustress is the kind that we need, but distress is the kind we don't need. Everyone has their own ways to handle stress. I prefer aromatherapy and music and sleep. You have to find what works for you. Try some relaxation or somethimg. Or try to look at things in a positive way. Also, sometimes you have to realize that you can cause your own stresses. Figure out how to NOT cause yourself any unneeded stresses.

Nedge said...

Natalie, I know I don't exactly have a job like you, but I feel like swimming is a job.
I get stressed out a lot! (And I guess from after reading Lauren's lovely information, I experience a lot of "distress" stress.)

But I have found in the past month and a half that to relieve myself from awful stress, I owe myself 20 minutes everyday. These 20 minutes are mine and mine alone, and usually I spend them just sitting, reflecting, reading scriptures, listening to music, etc.
And, man! Those 20 minutes actually help me do better in everything! So if you can find 20 minutes in your day (and you can) call them your twenty minutes, and use them how you wish to relax.

And it isn't always bad to talk to your bosses, let them know they're putting a lot of weight on you at once, tell them you need some slack! They will understand because they are awesome bosses.