Monday, January 26, 2009

Great Opportunity

So I was recently asked if I could "aide" to one of the swim lessons classes. I was asked because an Autistic boy was enrolled into lessons. Those of you who know me very well know that I ABSOLUTELY love children/adults with disabilities and have a special place in my heart for them. I just love working and talking with them. Words can't even describe it.... Well i met the little boy today for the first time and I instantly have been drawn to this boy. I felt like i have known him forever! I think i was blessed to have a special characteristic in me that can interact with people with disabilities. I mean sure he was flipping in my arms, trying to go underwater... but there was one point in time where he started growling at me trying to bite me... and what do i do? I growl back and pretend to eat him. He absolutely LOVED it and we played for a while.
I guess what I am trying to say, I have had SOOOOO many experiences in my life that have let me interact with special needs kids/adults. It has truely blessed my life to be around their perfect spirits. I think i have heard that we should teach them, but in reality, THey are the ones who are teaching me and I know that they really do have the light of christ in their bodies....
ANyways, I hope this made sense... i mostly rambled about it....

3 comments:

Annie said...

Good job Nat! Maybe that is your calling in life?

mad dog said...

What a great experience. You really have a special gift!

rochelle said...

Natalie, I think your gift is wonderful. How blessed this little boy must feel because you've taken the time to make him feel important!